Here we showcase ways in which we’ve helped clients unlock potential, accelerate growth and shape communities through economic development.
Unlocking Potential - Transforming potential into success
- Corporate Counsel - We have proudly acted for more than seven years as lead legal advisor to Te Wānanga o Aotearoa, a large indigenous education provider with an annual turnover of more than $200m. We advise them on the education sector and all commercial and business law activities including acquisitions and joint ventures, regulatory advice and other key operational and governance issues. We have worked for a long time alongside this unique and important kaupapa Māori organisation and are justifiably proud of its achievements. We are humbled to play a small part in its extraordinary success.
- Business Strategy - By reviewing the strategy and operations of Waipapa 9 Trust and providing the Trustees and management with a report and recommendations to improve their efficiency and capability this Māori land trust subsequently went onto win the national Māori farming enterprise competition (Ahuwhenua Trophy) two years running. We are proud of our contribution to Waipapa 9 and their success.
- Management Expertise - We provided the New Zealand Māori Tourism Council with management services and placed one of our Directors in as CEO to help establish its central office operations and set out its strategy to promote and foster indigenous tourism for its members. Māori Tourism is now realising its potential on a global stage.
Accelerating Growth - Managing and leveraging assets for extraordinary results
- Energy - Powershop is a revolutionary online energy retailer operating in NZ and Australia. This innovative standalone business of a large energy company needed specialised commercial and legal advice on regulatory compliance, negotiations with key suppliers (energy companies) and branding advice. Tuia Group advised on all those aspects and helped set the platform for its growth.
- Social Service Whānau Ora Models - The National Hauora Coalition has grown from humble beginnings to become a significant body delivering whānau ora (integrated health and social services) nationally to communities throughout New Zealand. We are proud we are in partnership with the Coalition helping it to plan its future and structure itself to handle the challenges going forward.
- PPP - The Department of Corrections needed an innovative solution. It's new public private partnership model for contracting and outsourcing prison facilities needed to ensure that the Māori community was a critical part of the process. Real outcomes to prevent recidivism was paramount. Consultation alone was not enough. That's where Tuia Group stepped in. We helped shape the model that avoided barriers and promoted innovation.
Shaping Communities - Developing economic platforms for sustainable growth
- Foreign Investment - Acting as a key advisor we have helped the Autonomous Government of Bougainville to understand how to manage its significant natural resources and foreign investment. Integrating commercial nous together with a clear agenda of protecting the interests of the Bougainville people we are well and truly helping to build a Country and a community
- Treaty Settlements - Nothing transforms a community like addressing its past and building a platform for its future. In New Zealand the settlement of grievances between the Government and tribal groups in accordance with its founding constitutional document the Treaty of Waitangi is world-leading. We are proud to act for, represent, and govern a number of participants in this process. Our role in the settlement of the legitimate grievances of Ngati Apa, Ngati Manuhiri and other tribes with the NZ Government is a constant source of pride for our firm.